FLANK STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS IN GREEN BEANS
Enjoy steak and flavorful green been side and keeping it completely Keto. Only about 3-4 net carbs for this wonderful dinner.
- 1 1/2 pound flank steak
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dry mustard
- 3 tbsp Butter, softened
Mushrooms and Green Bean
- 10 oz Green beans, fresh and cut off ends
- 4 oz Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Tenderize the steak with shallow cuts: Remove the steak from the refrigerator an hour before cooking.
- Cut away any tough connective tissue on the surface of the steak.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, poke small cuts into the meat, almost all the way through. The cuts should be at an angle and about 1/2 to 1 inch apart, in the direction of the grain of the meat as the knife tip is going in.
- Turn the steak over and repeat the cuts on the other side. Cut into pieces to fit the cast iron skillet.
- In a large cast iron pan, heat oil over medium high heat until pan is very hot. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan and let melt. Sear steaks on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place cast iron skillet into oven and cook for another 3 minutes, or until steaks reach 125°F for rare or 130°F for medium rare.
- If the steak isn't done enough to your liking, return the steak and pan to medium high heat for a few minutes.
- Let the steak rest: Remove the steak from the pan to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes, covered with aluminum foil.
- Cut meat in thin slices, at an angle, across the grain of the meat (do not want your steak to be chewey).
- If you would like, take the juices from the pan and add butter to make sauce. Add a little water and render the glaze down for a nice sauce.
Mushroom and Green Beans
- Cut green beans to your desired length and mince the garlic.
- Steam, or boil if you like, the cut green beans for about 8-10 minutes. Until they are mostly done, not quite all the way. They will keep cooking and we will have to sauté them with the butter and mushrooms.
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and swirl to coat. When the butter just begins to brown, add the mushrooms and stir to coat. Let them cook for 1 1/2 minutes, then stir.Heat a sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Add butter and oil and stir until begins to brown. Add mushrooms and saute until about half done, 1-2 minutes, and add the al
dente green beans to the pan and sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic on top of the vegetables and add the remaining tablespoon of water. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes more or until the beans are cooked to your liking.
- Season to taste and serve.
- If you are looking for something a little different, then use the juices from cooking the flank steak on the green beans.